Thursday, March 18, 2010

How we met

Mike and I met while working at the Church Office Building, in downtown Salt Lake. Mike worked on the gardening staff, and Janet worked in the cafeteria as a cashier. Mike really liked the fact that my checkout line was the fastest, so he only used my line. We both were attending SLCC, at the south campus. One night while I was catching up on my work for my computer class, Mike's class was in the computer lab holding class. We both saw each other, and realized that we knew each other about the same time. Over the next few weeks we said 'hi' to each other and that was about it, until I saw him working outside. I swear he saw me too, but he turned around and started planting, or whatever it was he was doing, so I pushed him with my foot on his butt. He turned around very surprised to see me, and then asked if I had a pen in my planner, so I could write his number down. Thinking there was no way I was going to call this guy, when his co-worker approached him to ask him a question, I wrote my number down and told him to call me. He called. He called me that night. We talked for hours, and then he finally asked me out. We were going to go to the 'Days of 47' rodeo. I had never been to a big rodeo, just small town stuff. So I was super excited. Needless to say, we never made it to the rodeo. His friends cancelled on us and we ended up going to a family BBQ. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind going to meet his family, but for the first date??? It was what it was, can't change it now, but do not recommend it. We went to his aunt and uncles for a BBQ, and all of his family was very nice! His mom wasn't there, though. She had gone to Missouri to help her sister, who had just had a baby. After we ate and hung out for a while we left and he took me up by the Bountiful Temple that was being built. He told me that he would be married there some day, and it kinda freaked me out, but I went along with it. No, he wasn't proposing, but some first date this was turning out to be. Then he took me home, and that was it. I do remember he gave me a hug at the door and thinking, this is odd.
The next day at church, my dad asked me how my date was and so very jokingly, I told him, "get use to him dad, he'll be around for a long time." Well, words could not be truer. No, I was not smitten, or anything, I just never brought my dates around, and my dad always gave me a hard time about it, so I decided to get him.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! What an interesting date. I sure hope he made it up to you later. Can we say awkward? I'm glad things worked out though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's just say, we have still not gone to the Rodeo! It's been way overdue! ;)

    ReplyDelete